The H-5500 replaces the outgoing H1202 with a number of significant improvements. Firstly it sports an all aluminum chassis. Gone is the stubby taller fascia of its predecessor and now we have a wider smarter look, more in keeping with its elder siblings and the new OTL/OCL preamps.
Like all Allnic Audio products, the H5500 uses Permalloy (iron and nickel alloy) for its transformer cores. As per it’s predecessor and indeed the original H1200, it employs four NOS E180CC twin triode tubes from the days of early computing, a staunch and highly robust choice that simply can’t be improved upon and which is much favoured by Kang Su Park.
Like the 1202, this new preamp also uses a 7233 voltage regulator tube and a 5654 for voltage correction in a far superior tube power supply. A pure class A design with no negative feedback it offers 278Ω, 117Ω, 69Ω, and 29Ω loading settings, selectable from the chassis mounted rotational pots, each of which is tied to a specific gain factor. Soft start function, a convenient mute switch and single ended input and output connectivity at the rear complete the specs.
Functionality has also been improved; the H5500 offers users dual MC and dual MC inputs so up to four cartridges can be accommodated at any one time. The fascia has also been adorned with Allnic’s famed power meter, normally reserved for more expensive products. The meter is very useful in indicating and quickly diagnosing tube replacement or failure.
On the sonic side there is of course a host of significant developments over the previous H1202. First of all the power transformer has been upgraded and the unit has also been furnished with the same step up transformers from the H7000 and flagship H8000 !
Build quality and finish is also up to the usual very high standard we have come to expect from Mr. KS Park. Available in silver or black. 2 year warranty on all Allnic Audio Products , 1 year on factory supplied tubes.
The H-5500 uses the same NOS tube set as its predecessor, the H-1202, but in a more feature and value packed chassis. The H-5500 sports:
- two pairs each of MM and MC inputs
- Mu-metal shielding to increase SNR
- a power supply capacity double that of the H-1202 for more drive, better bass and better balance across the full frequency range
- a current meter for monitoring tube status
- larger, heavier and more solid aluminum casework that is more resistant to vibration
- High-quality, NOS E180CC twin triode tubes
- CR type RIAA equalization, precisely compensated within +/- 0.3 dB
- Automatic, all tube voltage regulation circuit, ensuring exceptionally stable and quiet operation
- High quality Moving Coil (MC) Step-up Transformers with Permalloy cores
- MC transformers with variable gain (+22dB, +26dB, +28dB and +32dB)
- No negative feedback design
- Pure Class A operation